The Master's Degree Course in Environmental and Territorial Engineering deals with engineering issues related to the integration of human activities in the environmental context, reconciling the safety of civil settlements with the needs of environmental protection. The engineer trained with this Master's Degree Course will have an interdisciplinary training adding to the traditional engineering disciplines basic knowledge in the chemical, geological, biological and legislative sciences. The subjects specifically dealt with at the University of Parma are the following:
- prevention and protection of the territory from extraordinary events, natural or otherwise (floods, landslides, debris flows, water, air and soil pollution);
- environmental planning of the territory;
- waste water disposal and treatment;
- reclamation of aquifers and contaminated soil;
- solid waste management and disposal;
- territorial and environmental monitoring systems.
The training path of the graduate in Environmental and Territorial Engineering is on two levels:
- specialised training in the field of Environmental and Territorial Engineering;
- supplementary training in the chemical, ecological and legislative fields.
Some of the lessons given in the first year of the course complete the basic preparation of the student by providing the theoretical-applicative tools of the main disciplines of environmental engineering, territorial planning and the notions of environmental legislation. The other lessons complete the information acquired for a competent and responsible design of different types of interventions for the protection of the territory, prevention of extreme events and environmental pollution, and environmental restoration. Together, laboratory/internship activities are carried out. At the end of the second year the student must dedicate himself to the preparation of their thesis. The objective is the training of an engineer with specific professional and advanced scientific knowledge on the interrelationships between the different physical, biological and chemical processes involved in complex environmental systems and able to design:
- defence works and hydrogeological risk mitigation (floods and landslides);
- treatment and disposal of liquid and solid waste;
- works for the restoration of contaminated environments;
- territorial and environmental monitoring systems;
- spatial planning interventions in urban and rural areas.
The employment opportunities of the Master's Degree in Environmental and Territorial Engineering are mainly in the fields of design, implementation and development of complex and/or innovative processes, in the freelance profession, in Environmental Protection Agencies and Bodies, in public administrations, in production or service companies operating in the waste treatment sector, in public and private research centres. The employment prospects are excellent, both at national and European level and at local level.